Saturday 4 December 2010

My job

I have worked at Stevenson College Edinburgh, a large FE college in the west of Edinburgh for about 20 years.  For most of that time, I have combined teaching ESOL with working as the college's Equality and Diversity Adviser.  Our ESOL provision is the largest in Scotland: we have around 30 FT and PT ELT staff in college teaching a wide range of courses including teacher training, Business English, EAP, as well as a community based ESOL provision where teachers teach ESOL in community centres in Edinburgh and the Lothians. 
Over the past few years, the College has invested in ICT resources; IWB for the majority of classrooms, a large learning centre and e-learning staff who are there to support the teaching staff.  Below is a short, clear description of the basics of using an Interactive Whiteboard in ELT.





4 comments:

  1. Well done, Anne ... a great start to the blog. I like the layout and color scheme, and the content is sort and sweet: just the way I like blog posts to be -- I was the king of rambling on my blog ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, nicely done. The video is a useful thing, too. I've never used an IWB, but they look so fun and convenient. I tried to get my department to buy one on wheels this year so we could start learning about them, but since we're a bit tight for cash, the idea got tabled.... Do you find them good?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well,I think they are useful - it's a bit like having an OHT, a video and computer all in one place. There are lots of fun things you can do; but me and my colleagues need time and opportunities to play around with them- not easy to do with a packed timetable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love working with our IWBs. They do come in very handy for all kinds of activities -- not the least of which is being a giant computer screen. Also great for delayed error correction (I type up the mistakes), vocabulary groupings, etc.

    ReplyDelete